Saturday, June 1, 2013

Cocktails, Apps, and Asian Food

Editing pictures is exhausting. Especially when you're doing it on your phone. So anyway, I'm only about 20 multiple choice questions behind in my bar studies... but hey that's what the weekends are for right? Well last night, I went to the liquor store in an attempt to make some fancy cocktails I discovered in my browsing Bon Appetit magazine and watching The Chew on ABC [really, I have quite a life]. Charlie and I had a couple of drinks and watched some stand up comedy before departing for our asian dinner date. We might've had a few appetizers here beforehand...

The first cocktail I made is called a Calypso. Chef Michael Lomonaco introduced it on The Chew. Click the link for exact instructions and directions, but it includes champagne, orange liqueur [Grand Marnier was way too expensive], and apricot preserves [which Charlie, a big jam/preserves buff already had]. Normally I do not like champagne or anything bubbly. I think it gives me flashbacks of football tailgating, mimosas made with Andre, and drinking really early in the morning [not that there's anything wrong with that]. I figured with the additional sweetness of all the ingredients that I might like this one though.


Celebrating? Because we're done with the first week!?! Trader Joe's said it was good for any celebration?

Ingredients- I know I know, but Patron was really the cheapest orange liqueur they had, possibly because the bottle was so small. I promise it isn't tequila, apparently Patron is branching out.

Finished it should look like a bright yellow bubbly drink. I need to repaint my nails. Also, they aren't super dirty, it's from ink pens- you know, from all that studying.

The next drink is called a New York Sour, and I found it in the April issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Their recipes are pretty reliable. I made a simple syrup. I only had brown sugar here so that's what I used [after some light research that told me it was okay]. I figured it would go well with whiskey. I also don't normally like bourbon, but thought with some sugar maybe I might. Success- I liked this drink even better. It takes 2 oz of bourbon, 1 oz fresh lemon juice, 1 oz simple syrup, then float some wine on top [I used a 3 dollar shiraz]. Like the recipe said, floating looks super fancy and difficult, but you just just pour it over the back of a spoon held very close to the top of the drink. It's served on the rocks.

The inspiration. I didn't exactly have the right kind of glass.

The spill is not for artistic value, it's just really hard to pour a sauce pan's contents into a peanut jar.
Tip- Just because you don't have everything the recipe says you need does not mean you can't make the cocktail [unlike with baking]. Like I have a jigger, barspoon, or shaker. Nope. I used a liquid measuring cup, a teaspoon [for measuring, soup spoon for floating], and a jar that used to house olives.


What a beaut. I was really proud of this. Looks awesome, tasted awesome.

And not to be outdone, Charlie cut up a baguette and mixed us up some dipping oil. He puts in olive oil, garlic oil, and balsamic vinegar, then throws in some grated parmesan cheese and the ready-made seasonings.

Action Shot

Like a piece of art.

We are so fancy.

We also had some pork and chicken liver mousse with mushrooms [$4 at Trader Joe's] with this bread, but it kind of just looked like cement in a plastic container so the photo wouldn't have been too beautiful. At one point [after Charlie ate all the bread], I actually said the words, "But what are we going to dip in the liver now?" Talk about #firstworldpains. Hey, it's the weekend, I go all out. We then headed out to Sake Bomb [terrible name, great drink specials] in Durham for sushi and pho. Yeah, I already decided what to order before I went. Looking at menus is kind of a hobby of mine. I let Charlie pick out the sushi. As long as it has a lot of raw fish, I'm happy.

$5 large hot sake special

The many accoutrements for my pho. Lime, jalapenos, thai basil, bean sprouts, oyster sauce, and sriracha.

Wonderful. Oxtail broth with tender and good quality flank steak, some sliced meatballs, and rice noodles.

Then you add all the stuff you want. I really like salty things.

Very very good. I impress myself with the greatness of these photos.

By the time I took sushi pictures, there were way too many pieces missing from the serving plate. This is part of the "ocean fire roll." It had blue crab,avocado, and spicy mayo inside, topped with tuna, salmon yellow tail, and red snapper.
Then we went to Southpoint to see the Great Gatsby. I may have made us a little late, so we had to sit in the very front. Sorry I don't like previews and don't really even like watching movies in the theatre- expensive and uncomfortable. The movie was pretty good and true to the book, but leaving the movie theatre at midnight is a little late. And then I left my cell phone in the arm rest and had to run back in and get it. Luckily it was still there.

Annnnd today we're going on a food tour of downtown Durham- the South's tastiest town according to Southern Living. Oh, there will be pictures. The weather is great out.

No comments:

Post a Comment