Friday, May 24, 2013

Bite of DC or Last Fun Event Before I Began Studying

So I had an excellent weekend in DC with friends this past weekend [before the studying]...



Each restaurant had a tab on your wristband to be torn off when you consumed their course!
Bite of DC was a food and wine/beer festival in Yards Park, Washington DC down by the Nationals Stadium. It was about $50 for a 5 course tasting menu and pairings of wine and beer, along with tastings and pours of wine and beer for about 3 hours. My friends and I went from 7:00-10:00pm to make a dinner [and pregame] out of it. There definitely could have been more food, but it was a grand time.


Mary Ann and Melissa live in DC permanently and I am incredibly jealous.
All of the food was interesting and generally ranged from decent to amaaazing, but the lobster roll from Luke's Lobster easily won out. I'd say it was followed by the rabbit sausage course from Cedar. There was also a really good smoked trout roe and cucumber yogurt soup. And anyway, who am I to say that Jose Andres's restaurant had the worst dish and that the rose he served as a pairing kind of tasted like it had a splash of tequila? But yeah, Jaleo's dish was not that great.



Holy wow, I wish I had this right now, all over my face.
 
I bet those flowers on the dish make the rabbit feel better. He was tasty.

We heard that there was some pizza available, for those who opted for the alcohol-only option or for the people like us who still weren't full after the 5 courses... but it wasn't free so we just continued to drink. See the full menu! [Jaleo actually served an empedrat, which is Spanish fish and white bean cold salad...eh]

That's the boyfriend and the awful rose that I forced down...


Prior to the festivities we walked all over the city, following our guide Melissa, visiting some pretty swanky bars [and a Starbucks for caffeine on our route]...

Billy Martin's Tavern in Georgetown, where JFK proposed to Jackie... and an empty vodka gimlet.

The Hamilton. A Betty's Apple. Very good, but we should have taken advantage of the happy hour sushi deal or at least gotten some sliders instead of starving ourselves for the tasting menu 2 hours later.
DC is awesome. Drinking the District was awesome. Food is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment