Wednesday, May 29, 2013

As promised... Results of Ground Beef Gyros

After a day of studying and looking forward to dinner, I made the ground beef gryos I found on Pinterest via the blog passionate homemaking. And yes, her pictures are a lot more beautiful than mine, but these were great. The boyfriend liked them too. Not difficult, and I even took a study break to make the greek yogurt tzatziki with my little Cuisinart mini food processor [invest in one, it will change your life]. I watched a couple episodes of the League on Netflix while I did this and made the beef patties.

I followed the blog's recipes exactly, and I used lean ground beef to make the patties and only spray olive oil to cook them. Imagine how dank they would be had I used 80-20 beef instead. Also, after slicing the patties, I seared them a little more in the pan to brown them, as I didn't think the pink in the middle of a hamburger that I usually would be a good fit for gyros. The oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder really gave the meat good flavor. Also, the tza was fantastic and healthy since it was yogurt. I bet a spoonful of mayo would've been a real nice addition too. I used Trader Joe's fat free feta to top them.


I keep forgetting to style my food I get so hungry- Should've done a dramatic sprinkling of feta.

They turned out fantastic and took me back to my days of waiting tables at the delicious and not-so-fancy No Name Pizza of Beaufort [seriously that place is magnificent]. I kind of wish I was still living at the beach and making those tips now...

Unfortunately Aldi did not have pitas, so I used some "Fit & Active" flatbreads


 So maybe I went overboard with the pictures. It could be a lot worse and I could've just ended up with a picture of three bites of pita and smeared tzatziki all over the plate.
 
Another angle, just in case you can't get enough. I wanted to make sure I got a good one.


Showing you how to eat one... Don't you love my beachy orange nail polish?

And then I was still a little bit hungry/didn't want the meal to be over yet but I wanted to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow [I know, decisions, decisions] so I made a plate of...


Seconds... a little Mediterranean nachos?

The good news is I'm going out to eat on Friday. Maybe a little dinner and a movie? Maybe a little sushi and sake? I'm excited. Too bad I heard the new Hangover was awful and not funny. Dammit.
In other news, I JUST started watching the Walking Dead tonight after dinner. Great timing for studying. How many seasons are there? Pretty sure I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment