Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mario Batali's Gnocchi all'Amatriciana

I love gnocchi. I really like homemade gnocchi. But hey, when you can get a package of gnocchi  for less than $2 and save like 30 minutes, why not use that on a recipe you've never tried before... you know, just in case it's not that good?

HA! Like this recipe from Mario Batali wouldn't be that good. I saw him make this Gnocchi all'Amatriciana on The Chew last week and he did it so fast that I figured it couldn't be too tough. It involves bacon and jalapenos and red pepper flakes, so how could it not be amazing? Strangely, when I tasted this dish, I realized that this is not a combination of flavors that I encounter often- salty, bacon-y, and spicy. It was great! I used 3 jalapenos from my own plants [because I'm fancy like that] and just regular bacon, though I'm sure it'd be even better with the Italian Guanciale that Mario recommends. I also used yellow onion because of course I didn't have red onions... There were [supposedly] 4 servings of gnocchi in the package, but Charlie and I ate all of it between the two of us. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Combine oil, bacon, and chopped onion until the bacon is browned a bit. Stir in a quarter of a cup tomato paste, 3 jalapenos and red pepper flakes and keep stirring. Don't forget to save some pasta water! If it seems too dry, add some of that and it will get all wet and awesome again and all the bacon bits can be scraped off the bottom. Makes much more sauce-y goodness
 
 

Add Parmesan of course. Of course!
 
 

Yet again, I didn't have something that Mario recommended- Parsley. But I did have a ton of fresh basil. So, in that goes.



Isn't she a beaut?!

Whatever, I went to the gym that day. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment