Saturday, December 7, 2013

Zucchini Chips!


So I've dropped off. I know. Working is hard, you guys. America should take a cue from France and cut the work week down to 35 hours. Geez. But anyway, I'm a real lawyer, and I got a real job, and for that (and the paycheck) I am thankful. However, I do have several food pictures I've taken that I really need to unload.

After several views and reviews of zucchini chips on Pinterest, I splurged on some of these vegetables at Aldi. You have to buy them in a 3-pack there, so I needed to find another good use for them besides the average curry or pasta. I liked the recipe from this blog the best, and so I began...

Needless to say, I did not follow directions exactly... and thus I regretted slightly that my chips were very thin. Most recipes I read recommended cutting the zucchini into quarter inch slices, but I got fancy with my mandolin (having neglected it all too often) and sliced them into tiny slivers. This made them into delicious crunchy chips, but at the same time I would've liked to remember that these were actually zucchinis that I was eating. They were beautiful nonetheless:





Zucchini Chips
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- milk
- Italian bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper, obvi
- dash of red pepper, if you so desire.

Preheat the oven to 425.

So to begin, you slice two medium zucchinis into rounds about a quarter inch thick. Or set your mandolin to your desired setting. While I chose very thin, I now think I'd recommend just thin or wider.

Combine about a half a cup of bread crumbs with two tablespoons of Parmesan. Then add salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper... until you like the way the seasoning of the crumbs tastes.

Prepare your wire racks. I set two of them on a backing sheet and sprayed them with olive oil.

Once you have your slices of zucchini chips ready, dip them in milk in a shallow dish. Then immediately dredge them in the bread crumb mixture. I attempted to do several at a time and it worked out for the most part. I got a lot of the milk-crumb mixture stuck to my hands so I had to wash them multiple times. Place the coated slices on the wire racks and you are ready to bake them. I'd recommend 20 minutes for these thin chips, but if you are cooking quarter inch slices, keep the zucchini chips in there for about 30 minutes. But watch them! We're going for a golden brown.


Love my gadgets









 


 





And then, because we were being healthy and all... I dipped them in ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment